Whether we like it or not, we have to share the road with tractor trailers. People make a lot of purchases online these days and this means someone needs to transport these goods. That is why we have truck drivers. They make sure that products in this country get to where they need to go. Unfortunately, truck accidents occur more frequently. If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, it is critical you have an experienced Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyer on your side.
The problem is that these trucks are very large. They can be dangerous that is why a truck accident lawyer is important. Truck drivers spend over eight hours a day driving on the highways. They’re carrying huge loads and have to navigate the busy traffic.
When you consider the miles that these trucks cover, it’s surprising that they’re not involved in more accidents. Not only do they have to handle the normal risks on the road, but they also have to handle a large machine.
The problem with tractor trailers is that they’re on the road with much smaller passenger vehicles. If a truck driver gets into an accident, a car is at a serious disadvantage. A passenger car simply can’t survive the impact of a tractor-trailer. And, given the types of accident trucks get into, the car is at an additional disadvantage.
Truck accident lawyers in Lake Charles have spent years handling these types of cases. They know how to prove that the truck driver was at fault. They also know how to get you compensation for your injuries. They’ll gather the evidence necessary to get you the compensation you deserve.
If you’re involved in a truck accident, you need to do a few things. First, you need to seek immediate medical treatment. Second, you need to call the police to investigate the accident scene. And, third, you need to call a Lake Charles truck accident lawyer.
Your Louisiana Trucking Accident Attorney Knows the Statistics
Truck accidents are the most serious type of accidents today. Because of the sheer size of a tractor-trailer, they cause a lot of damage. In fact, truck accidents are the deadliest type of accident there is. There are actually statistics to back this up.
When we look at the statistics surrounding truck accidents, they are quite alarming:
- There were over 120,000 in 2016 that caused injuries
- Of these, over 4,000 accidents caused fatalities
- Although there was a decrease in truck accidents from 2005 to 2009, they are now steadily on the rise again
- In fatal truck accidents, the car driver was the one killed over 90% of the time
When we think about it, trucks are almost like deadly weapons traveling up and down the highway. However, everything needs to be taken into perspective.
When we consider the number of trucks on the road at any given time, it’s not surprising that there are so many accidents. And, when we consider how dangerous trucks are, it’s not surprising that they cause so many fatalities.
The surprising fact is that 90% of the people who die in these accidents are car drivers. We know that trucks are much larger than cars – but does this really explain this difference? It does when you consider that nothing stands between the car driver and a huge, multi-ton vehicle.
Your Truck Accident Lawyer in Lake Charles Knows the Causes of Truck Accidents
Just like car accidents, there are certain common causes of truck accidents. We don’t want to give the impression that truck drivers aren’t careful. Nothing could be further from the truth. Truck drivers spend a lot of time training and making sure they know how to handle their vehicles. They constantly perform maintenance on their trucks so that they are safe. But truck drivers are human – they make mistakes.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents are:
- Distracted Driving – Truck drivers spend their days on the road. This is what they do for a living. Every now and then, they do things that cause them to be distracted. This could be anything from eating their lunch to checking to baseball scores on their phones. The problem is, if a truck driver takes his eyes off the road for a few seconds, people could die.
- Speeding – A lot of drivers get paid by the mile. This means that they make more money if they drive faster. A lot of truck drivers push the envelope when it comes to the speed limit. On most roads and highways, truck drivers have the same speed limits as cars. This may not be wise. It takes a truck a lot longer to slow down than a car. And, when a truck hits something going 70 miles per hour, they’ll cause a lot more damage than a sedan.
- Drunk Driving – There are truck drivers who disregard the safety of others. If a driver stops off for happy hour after work and gets behind the wheel, people will get hurt. It’s hard enough to maneuver a tractor-trailer sober. We don’t even want to imagine how dangerous it is to do so drunk or under the influence of drugs.
- Equipment Failure – Tractor trailers are large and intricate machines. If something happens and the truck driver loses control, the results can be devastating. Imagine a truck’s brakes failing on a busy highway. The results could be deadly.
All of these things could cause a tractor-trailer to hit a passenger vehicle. If you get hit by a truck, you’re going to suffer some pretty bad injuries. You could be in the hospital for days or weeks. The last thing you’ll want to do is worry about lawyers and insurance companies.
Your Lake Charles truck accident lawyer will work hard to prove that the truck driver was at fault. He’ll fight the insurance company to make sure you get justice.
What Damages Will a Lake Charles Truck Accident Attorney Demand?
If you’re involved in a truck accident, you’ll be entitled to certain damages. Depending on your accident, you may suffer serious injuries. You may also end up with a vehicle that needs to be repaired or replaced.
Your Louisiana truck accident lawyer is going to demand that you be compensated for the following:
- Medical Bills – Your attorney will demand that you be compensated for current and future medical bills. Chances are, if you’ve been hit by a truck, you’re going to need treatment for quite some time.
- Lost Wages – Your lawyer will make sure you are compensated for time missed from work. He’ll also demand that you be compensated handsomely if you end up permanently disabled.
- Pain and Suffering – There is a lot of pain involved in truck accident injuries. You could have to undergo several surgeries. These are very painful and take a while to recover from. Your lawsuit may involve as much in pain and suffering as the other types of damages combined.
- Property Damage – Chances are, if you’re hit by a tractor trailer, your car will be totaled. At a minimum, it’ll need major repairs. The defendant should be responsible for these repairs.
Your attorney will also make sure he pursues all parties responsible for your injuries. In a truck accident, there could be multiple defendants, such as:
- the individual truck driver
- The insurance companies
- The business the driver works for
- The company that services the company’s trucks
- The manufacturer of the truck or its components
- Any bar or restaurant who served a drunk truck driver
- The client who loaded too much product on the driver’s truck
It’s important that your Lake Charles truck accident lawyer name all the parties upfront. You won’t get a chance to do this down the road. You could miss the statute of limitations or be told it’s too late to add a defendant.
Contact a Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident, you need a Louisiana accident attorney. Your attorney can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. He’ll also negotiate with the insurance company to try to get you a fair settlement.
You should call and schedule your free initial consultation today. You can ask any questions you may have. Your attorney will also be able to review any additional information you have about your case.
Make sure you bring the following to your initial consultation:
- Copy of the police report
- Any correspondence from the defendant’s attorney or insurance company
- Contact information for any witnesses
- Your medical records
- Proof of any out-of-pocket expenses
- Medical bills received thus far
You’ll probably be scared and frustrated after your accident. You’re going to want to hold someone responsible. And that is where your Lake Charles truck accident lawyer comes in, He’ll make sure he does what it takes to get you the money you deserve.
Your initial consultation is absolutely free. And you pay nothing until you settle your case. You can bet the truck driver will have lawyers working for him. And you should have an attorney by your side as well!