If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you’re going to need a Lake Charles car accident lawyer. However, there are a few things you need to do immediately following your accident:
- Call the police – You need to call the local police. No matter how minor you may think the damage is, this is important. Some people are tempted to exchange insurance information with the other driver and just walk away. However, there are several reasons why you need to call the police.
The police will review the accident scene. They’ll create an accident report. This report will provide your attorney with valuable information later on. The police will also check to see if either of the drivers were drunk or under the influence of the drugs at the time of the accident. It’s important that they discover this. It could help prove your case down the road.
- Seek medical treatment – No matter how minor your injuries, you need to get immediate medical treatment. The police will arrange for an ambulance to take you to the hospital. This is important. The doctors at the hospital can make sure you’re okay. They can also check for things like internal injuries. Finally, this will ensure that you have a record of your injuries for your lawsuit.
Your car accident attorney in Lake Charles will reiterate these things to you. In order for him to properly handle your claim, he needs as much information as possible.
Let an experienced car accident lawyer handle the legal side of things. You need to focus on recovering from your injuries.
Common Types of Car Accidents in Lake Charles
Car accident attorneys in Lake Charles can handle all types of cases. No matter how your accident happened, you can benefit from a good attorney. Your lawyer will review your case and file a claim against the necessary parties.
Some of the most common types of car accidents include:
- Head-On Collisions: These can be the most dangerous type of accidents. When a car comes barreling toward you from the other direction, there is little you can do to protect yourself. Head-on collisions usually involve a drunk driver or someone who is driving recklessly. This can include drivers who are speeding or not paying attention to the road. If you’re involved in a head-on collision, you’ll probably suffer some pretty serious injuries. You may need surgery. You also may end up in the hospital for a while. Your car accident lawyer can work hard to get you compensation for these injuries.
- Highway Accidents: Some accidents happen on side roads. Others take place on major highways. Because people tend to drive faster on the highway, these accidents can cause pretty devastating injuries. It’s important that you report your accident to the police. They can review the accident scene and help determine who may be at fault. They will take pictures of the accident scene and describe the road conditions. Your lawyer will rely on this information later on if he needs to recreate the accident scene.
- Hit and Run Accidents: Nothing is more frustrating than when someone hits your car and takes off. What kind of a coward does that? Well, there are a few reasons why someone may do this. If someone doesn’t have insurance, they may take off. They’re afraid that if you call the cops they could get in a lot of trouble. The same is true if the other driver is drunk or using drugs at the time of the accident. Rather than face a DUI, they take their chances and run. If this happens to you, your car accident attorney can help. He’ll also help you file a claim against your uninsured motorist’s fund. This may not cover all of your damages, but it will certainly help.
- Rear End Accidents: These may be the most common types of accidents. Rear end accidents happen all the time. You could be sitting at a red light when someone slams into you from behind. Or maybe you’re stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and notice the car behind you hits the back of your car. Thankfully, the law is pretty clear. The rear driver is almost always at fault in these collisions. Lastly, your lawyer will make sure the other driver is held responsible for your injuries.
- Uber and Lyft Accidents: With the increase in rideshare companies, we’re seeing more Uber and Lyft accidents. Just because someone drives for a living doesn’t mean they are perfect. Uber and Lyft drivers get into accidents as often as anyone else. The good news is that they carry plenty of insurance. If you get hurt in a rideshare accident, you need to file a claim against the driver’s insurance. Also, between the driver’s policy and the insurance carried by Uber, your damages should be covered.
The Car Accident Attorneys at Veron, Bice, Palermo and Wilson, LLC Fight the Insurance Company
Usually, if you’re in a car accident, you’ll file your insurance claim and get compensation a few days later. However, insurance companies don’t pay every claim that comes across their desk. In fact, if they did, they’d go out of business.
Some of the reasons your claim could be denied are:
- The other driver’s policy wasn’t valid at the time of the accident
- The driver let their policy lapse for non-payment
- The insurance company thinks you were at fault
- They don’t believe your injuries are legitimate
- They believe you are exaggerating your damages
For most of these reasons, your attorney can file an appeal. The only denials that he really can’t fight are those where it was denied because the policy wasn’t valid. There is no reason an insurance company will pay out a claim on an invalid policy.
Your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will call and speak with the insurance adjuster. He’ll point out that if the claim isn’t paid, he intends to file a lawsuit. Once the adjuster knows you’re serious, he may be more likely to honor your claim.
Your lawyer will have to file a lawsuit if you don’t get compensation for your claim. Once he does this, the insurance company may be more liable to settle. Your attorney will try to negotiate a fair settlement. It’s also sometimes better to take a little less upfront to avoid a trial.
Trials are time-consuming and expensive. Nobody wants to go to trial. Plus, there is a chance that you can lose in court. You don’t want to risk getting nothing if you don’t have to.
As soon as you learn your insurance claim has been denied, call and schedule a consultation with a Lake Charles car accident lawyer. He can go to battle with the insurance company so you don’t have to. And remember – the insurance company also has lawyers working for them. And you should too!
Types of Injuries Suffered in Lake Charles Auto Accidents
Depending on how serious your accident is, you could suffer all types of injuries. It’s important that you seek immediate medical treatment after your car accident. You need to make sure a doctor examines you to make sure you’re okay.
Some of the most common injuries suffered in Louisiana car accidents include:
- Back injuries – Given the impact suffered in a car accident, it’s no surprise that you can hurt your back. You may suffer disc issues such as herniations or displacement. You could also experience muscle strains. Depending on the type of back injury you suffer, you may need surgery. You’ll more than likely need physical therapy as well. Most back injuries will cause you to miss a few weeks or months from work. Your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will demand that you get compensation for that time.
- Brain Injuries – If you’re involved in a head-on collision, you’ll probably suffer some kind of brain injury. The most serious type of brain injury is a traumatic brain injury. The symptoms of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) include:
- Vision loss
- Memory issues
- Inability to concentrate
Your attorney will do his best to get you the compensation you deserve for your TBI. Because a TBI can affect you for the rest of your life, this compensation may be significant.
- Broken Bones – A lot of people suffer broken bones when they’re involved in a car accident. Just the impact alone can lead to broken legs and arms. You can also break your wrist from trying to brace yourself against the impact. The seatbelt can also cause broken bones. The good news is – if broken bones are the worst of your injuries, you should be thankful. However, broken bones also require surgery and physical therapy. It could be months before you’re back on your feet.
- Disability – If your injuries are serious enough, you may never be able to work again. Even if you were just working for a minimum wage that is thousands of dollars you’re losing over the course of a lifetime. To qualify for disability, your lawyer will have to show that you are unable to work due to your injuries. He’ll look at the difference between what you would have earned, versus what you’ll earn on disability. The defendant should be held responsible for this difference.
- PTSD – Very serious accidents can cause a victim to suffer from PTSD. PTSD is short for a post-traumatic stress disorder. This is when someone can’t live normally after an accident. The anxiety and depression caused by reliving the accident can be haunting. Your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will fight to get you the compensation for your PTSD. PTSD can be hard to prove. You may need doctors and psychiatrists to testify that you have the disorder.
- Whiplash – This is the most common injury in car accidents. There is actually no way to prove you have whiplash. There are no tests that can prove it. All you can do is have a doctor testify that you appeared to have whiplash. And, because whiplash heals itself in a matter of days or weeks, you can’t expect to receive a ton of compensation for a whiplash claim. However, your lawyer will still argue to get you as much as possible.
Contact an Experienced Lake Charles Car Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer Lake Charles at Veron, Bice, Palermo & Wilson, LLC. You can schedule your free initial consultation. This gives you the chance to meet with a lawyer who’s been handling these cases for years.
When you first meet with your attorney, make sure to bring the following:
- Any correspondence you’ve received from the other driver’s attorney or insurance company
- A copy of the police report
- Any pictures you have of the accident scene or your injuries
- Also, contact information for any witnesses
- Receipts from any out-of-pocket expenses
- Copies of your medical records
- Proof of medical bills
- Lastly, Proof of lost wages
Your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will review all of this and let you know what your case may be worth. He’ll also come up with a plan on how best to approach your case.
It’s important to be upfront and honest with your attorney during your initial consultation. If there’s something about your case you’re afraid to tell him, don’t be. He’s going to find out sooner or later anyway. It’s best that he isn’t blindsided halfway through your case.
It’s also important that you don’t speak about your case to anyone other than your attorney. Therefore, don’t post about it on social media. Don’t talk about it at work. You don’t want to risk jeopardizing your case.
Call today and schedule your initial free consultation. It costs you nothing. And remember – you pay nothing until you win your case!