What are The Most Common Causes of a Head-On Collision?
If you’ve ever had a nightmare about being in a car accident, you were probably imagining a head-on collision so here the most common causes of a head-on collision. That’s because it’s the scariest kind of motor vehicle accident. The idea of a car coming at you, head-on, is terrifying.
The thing about head-on collisions is that you have no way of knowing when they’re going to happen. These accidents typically involve someone who’s lost control of their car. Or, they’re drunk or high. This means the car takes on a life of its own.
Head-on collisions usually cause very serious injuries. It doesn’t matter if you’re the driver or passenger. Chances are, you won’t walk away from the crash. You’re going to need surgery and physical therapy. You may end up permanently disabled.
As scary as it seems, there really is no way to prevent a head-on collision. You can be as careful as you want. If someone is going to drive recklessly, there’s nothing you can do. But, if someone crashes into your car, there is something you can do. You can call an experienced car accident lawyer in Lake Charles who will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
What Kinds of Injuries Do Head-On Collisions Cause?
One of the reasons head-on collisions are so dangerous is because of the types of injuries they cause. Given the nature of these accidents, the injuries tend to be very serious. If you’re in the front seat of the car, you’ll probably suffer the brunt of the impact. If you’re in the backseat, you can still suffer life threatening injuries.
People who are involved in head-on collisions do tend to suffer life threatening injuries. Some of these include:
- Traumatic brain injuries – Because the impact is so terrific, many of these accident victims suffer head injuries. When your head suffers a severe blow, you can end up with a traumatic brain injury (TBI). These injuries are life changing. Some of the symptoms of a TBI include:
- Memory loss
- Blurry vision and ringing in the ears
- Long-term memory issues
- Inability to concentrate
- Back Injuries – Many accident victims suffer a variety of back injuries. You could suffer disc herniations. Or, you could experience a spinal cord injury. These are the types of injuries that can cause permanent disability. This means you’ll be out of work for quite some time.
- Neck Injuries – The impact alone can cause a serious neck injury. This could include strains or muscle tears. But it can also cause a broken neck. People who suffer a broken neck risk paralysis. This will change your entire world.
- Broken Bones – Obviously, you may suffer multiple broken bones in a head-on collision. There’s a good chance your car will be totaled in this kind of crash. Imagine what can happen to your body when this happens.
Any of these injuries can cause permanent disability. If this happens, you’ll be entitled to the difference between what you’ll earn on disability compared to what you would’ve earned working full-time.
Why Would Someone Crash into You Head-On?
It’s mind boggling that someone would allow their car to crash into someone head-on. Usually, these accidents involve either intoxication or a total loss of control. Some of the more common causes of a head-on collision include:
- Speeding – If someone is driving too fast and loses control of their car, there’s no telling where the car may end up. This is why you may see a car swerve into oncoming traffic.
- Drunk driving or driving while under the influence of drugs – If someone is high or drunk, they could pass out while driving. If this happens – even for a moment –it can prove fatal.
- Reckless Driving – Head-on collisions may involve someone who is intentionally driving recklessly. Maybe they’re trying to pass the car in front of them in a no-passing zone. Or, they may be street racing. This kind of behavior can injure other people or even kill them.
Your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will work hard to prove the other driver was at fault. Typically, if someone hits you head-on, they will be held responsible.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Lake Charles, Louisiana
If you or your loved one are hurt in a head-on collision, you’ll suffer some pretty serious injuries. You’ll need to focus on getting better. That’s why you need to call an experienced car accident lawyer in Lake Charles. They can handle the legal side of things while you get well.
Call us Veron, Bice, Palermo & Wilson, LLC today and schedule your free initial consultation.