Most car accidents are pretty minor. The drivers walk away with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. They may have to get their cars repaired, but that’s the worst of their concerns. For other people, the results are not so minor. Some car accidents are very severe. So severe in fact, that it leaves its victims with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD.) This is a very serious mental disorder that impacts people who survive very traumatic events.
People who suffer PTSD as a result of a car accident typically have a legal claim against the other driver. PTSD can also be quite debilitating. Some people are never able to work again. Others aren’t even able to lead normal lives due to their heightened anxiety.
If you’ve been involved in a tragic accident and are now suffering from PTSD, call a car accident lawyer in Lake Charles.
What is PTSD?
PTSD is a psychiatric disorder that affects people who were involved in, or witnessed, a tragic disaster. This can include a car accident. When the circumstances are so extreme as to shock the conscience, some people react in a very extreme way.
Some of the symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder include:
- Experiencing the traumatic event over and over, sometimes in the form of flashbacks
- Being emotionally numb and avoiding people, places or things that remind them of the traumatic event
- Problems with sleeping, concentrating and periods of heightened anxiety
Some people with PTSD suffer from other problems, such as:
- Dissociative reactions
- Intense psychological distress
Most people who suffer from this disorder do so for years. Some people never recover from it. As you can imagine, this can have a significant impact on their lives. And, sadly, there aren’t many effective treatments for PTSD.
Is There Any treatment?
For people with PTSD, there aren’t a whole lot of treatment options. It’s not like someone with a back injury who can corrective surgery. Physical therapy isn’t going to cure someone’s PTSD. If they’re lucky to have their issue properly diagnosed, the best victims can hope for is counseling to try to minimize the effects of PTSD.
Some of the possible treatments for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder include:
- Cognitive Processing Therapy: With this therapy, you’ll be forced to talk about the event that led to your PTSD. You’ll be asked to write about it until it doesn’t feel so uncomfortable to discuss it.
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy: You’ll be asked to identify the things you’re avoiding due to your PTSD. Slowly, over a period of time, you’ll be asked to confront these things. You’ll also learn breathing techniques that can help you deal with the stress that accompanies your PTSD.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: This therapy teaches you have to distract yourself from the negative thoughts you have when dealing with the trauma. It also teaches you how to associate positive things with the negative experiences.
- Stress Inoculation Therapy: With this treatment, you really just learn alternate ways of dealing with stress.
- Medications: As a last resort, your doctor can prescribe medications to help you deal with the anxiety caused by PTSD.
If you’re dealing with PTSD caused by a car accident in Louisiana, you need to contact a Lake Charles auto accident attorney. Your attorney can pursue the other driver to make sure they pay for your injuries.
PTSD Can Be Debilitating
If you have PTSD or know someone who does, you know how serious it can be. It can be debilitating. A lot of car accident victims with PTSD are unable to work. They can’t even carry out day to day functions.
If this happens to you, your lawyer may be able to get you compensation for your injuries. Some of the damages you can claim include:
- Medical Bills – If you have to undergo long-term treatment for your PTSD, the defendant should be held responsible. You’ll be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, both past and future.
- Pain and Suffering – If you are suffering from PTSD and other physical injuries, you may be entitled to pain and suffering.
- Lost Wages – If you’re unable to work as a result of your PTSD, your Lake Charles accident lawyer can demand compensation for lost wages.
Contact a Lake Charles Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Louisiana, you need to call a Lake Charles car accident lawyer. Your lawyer can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Call today and schedule your free initial consultation. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.