People get into car accidents every day. Thankfully, most of these accidents don’t cause very serious injuries. Most drivers can walk away from their car accident unscathed. For other drivers, it’s not that easy.
The seriousness of your injuries really depends on the type of accident you’re involved in. Some accidents are naturally more dangerous than others. Some of the more serious types of crashes include:
- Head-on collisions – In these accidents, cars are usually driving at very high speeds. One driver, for some reason, crashes into the other driver head-on. The crash isn’t expected. Nobody can see an accident like this coming. The drivers and passengers in both cars usually sustain very serious injuries.
- Drunk Driving – Nobody should drink and get behind the wheel. With the advent of rideshare companies, there’s no reason why anyone should drink and drive. Because drunk drivers don’t realize how dangerous their actions can be, they don’t drive as carefully as they should. When they lose control of their car and crash into someone, the results are disastrous.
- Truck Accidents – Some of the deadliest types of accidents are trucking accidents. Tractor trailers are just so large, passenger vehicles don’t stand a chance against them. The other problem is trucks are usually on the highway. They tend to be going pretty fast when they do get into an accident. The impact of this type of crash is tremendous.
If your loved one was involved in any of these types of accidents, they’ll have sustained some pretty serious injuries. They may not survive their injuries. If this happens, your family needs time to grieve. But they also deserve compensation for their loss.
Car accident lawyers in Lake Charles, Louisiana have the experience necessary to handle these types of cases.
What is a Wrongful Death Suit in Louisiana?
If someone dies as a result of their car accident injuries, their family will have a claim for wrongful death. Wrongful death cases are filed when someone’s negligence causes the death of another person.
In order to prove wrongful death, your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will have to prove the following:
- The other driver had a duty of care – This is not difficult to do. All drivers owe people on the road a duty of care. They are also required to obey all traffic laws. If they fail to do this, they may be found liable for your injuries.
- They have to breach this duty of care – Just because your loved one died in the accident doesn’t necessarily mean the other driver breached their duty of care. In order to show that someone breached their duty, you have to prove that they acted unreasonably. For example, if someone was drunk driving, that is proof that they breached their duty of care.
- Your loved one suffered an injury – Obviously, if your loved one passed away, they must have suffered an injury.
- The accident is what caused their injuries – There are cases where someone dies, but the accident isn’t what caused their injuries. For example, let’s say your spouse had a problem with drugs. They had taken a lethal dose of heroin minutes before the car accident. If the defendant can prove that it was the overdose and not the car crash that killed your spouse, they won’t be held liable.
Your Lake Charles car accident lawyer will work hard to prove the defendant was negligent. If they can do this, you’ll have a good chance of prevailing in your wrongful death lawsuit.
What Kinds of Damages are Involved in a Wrongful Death Suit?
If your loved one dies in a car accident, you may have a claim for damages. Your Louisiana auto accident attorney will work hard to get your family the compensation they deserve.
In Louisiana, you’re entitled to the following types of damages for a wrongful death claim:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Medical expenses related to the accident
- Lost wages and benefits
- Value of household services your family has lost
- Pain and suffering of the decedent
- Loss of care, guidance and support suffered by the family
Your attorney will fight to get you as much as possible.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Lake Charles Right Away
If your loved one has been seriously injured or killed in a car crash, you need help. You need an experienced car accident attorney in Lake Charles to handle the legal side of things. Your family needs time to grieve after the loss of a loved one.