Can Your Lawyer Help Your Disability After A Car Crash?
Some car accidents in Louisiana are so serious, they leave their victims in pretty bad shape. Some accident victims need surgery and physical therapy. Others may never walk again. It all depends on the situation. Some accidents are really serious but everybody walks away with minor injuries. Others cause life threatening injuries or even death.
Even if you survive your car accident, that doesn’t mean you’ll be okay. You could be in for a long road to recovery. You may be in the hospital for a while. You may never walk again. It all depends on your accident and the medical treatment you need after the crash.
If you never fully recover from your injuries, you could end up permanently disabled. If this is the case, your Lake Charles car crash lawyer will make sure you get compensated fairly. If the other driver caused your accident, they need to be held accountable. You shouldn’t be left holding the bag if the crash wasn’t your fault.
What Kinds of Injuries Can Lead to Disability?
Obviously, certain types of injuries are more likely to cause permanent disability than others. A broken leg is probably not going to cause lifelong issues for you. Neither will whiplash. However, if you suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI), you could end up disabled.
Some of the injuries that are more likely to cause permanent disability include:
- Spinal cord injuries – These are the types of injuries that can cause paralysis. If this happens to you, you won’t be able to walk again. You may end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. This can be something that prevents you from working ever again. You may need to apply for permanent disability.
- TBI – If you suffer a traumatic brain injury, you may not be able to communicate the way you used to. You’ll also suffer memory issues. These kinds of things can keep you from working full-time. If this happens to you, you’re going to have to apply for disability.
- Neck and Head Injuries – Any neck or head injury can lead to a lifelong disability. Our necks and heads are very sensitive. They control pretty much everything we do. If we suffer this kind of injury, chances are, we won’t be able to work again.
If you suffer any of these injuries, there is a chance you’ll end up on disability. Your Lake Charles car crash attorney is going to work hard to get you the damages you deserve. If this includes permanent disability, so be it.
Qualifying for Disability Isn’t Easy
The problem with a permanent disability may come down to administrative red tape. It’s a fact that about 70% who apply for disability are denied the first time. The requirements for disability are very strict. This is because, once you’re approved for disability, you may end up on it for the rest of your life.
Before the government is willing to pay lifelong disability benefits, they’re going to make sure you really aren’t able to work. First off, you need to prove that you won’t be able to work for at least one (1) year. Since you won’t be able to afford to wait a full year to apply for benefits, your lawyer will have to submit proof that you cannot work.
Your Lake Charles car crash lawyer is going to do what they need to do so you can qualify for benefits. They need to help you fill out the paperwork. They’ll also try to increase your chances of being approved. Of course, there’s no guarantee. All you can do is take the necessary steps and see what the state decides.
If you do prove that you’re disabled, you’ll be entitled to certain damages. Your Lake Charles car accident attorney will demonstrate the following:
- How much you would have earned (through retirement) at your full-time job
- What you will receive on permanent disability
- The difference between these two figures
- Your attorney will account for inflation and amortization
Whatever this amount comes out to be, your attorney will demand it as part of your settlement.
Contact an Experienced Lake Charles Car Crash Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident and can no longer work, you need to call an experienced Lake Charles car crash lawyer. Your attorney will help you file your insurance claim. They’ll also help you apply for permanent disability.
Call Veron, Bice, Palermo & Wilson, LLC today and schedule your free initial consultation.