If you know someone who’s been through a tragic accident, you may have noticed they’re not the same afterwards. A lot of people simply can’t fully recover from the physical and mental anguish caused by a car accident. A Lake Charles car accident lawyer knows this, and they may be able to help.
Some people don’t believe PTSD is a real issue. There are even people in the medical field who doubt the legitimacy of the condition. But for people suffering from PTSD, it’s very real.
PTSD stands for a condition known as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. It’s something that affects people who’ve been through traumatic events. They’re unable to let go of the anxiety caused by the event and carry it with them for most of their lives.
PTSD can impact a person’s career, social life and personal life. It can be debilitating for some. Depending on how serious an accident is, it could cause PTSD. This is especially true for people who are already dealing with anxiety disorders before the crash.
If you’re suffering from PTSD after a car accident, you need to call a Lake Charles car accident lawyer. He can help prove your injuries and get you the compensation you deserve.
What is PTSD?
As mentioned above, PTSD is a condition caused by traumatic events. Some people who suffer through a tragedy are unable to function normally. They’re plagued with periods of anxiety and trauma caused by their PTSD.
Some of the symptoms of PTSD include:
- Pervasive thoughts
- Avoiding any situations similar to the car accident
- Fear of driving
- Purposely avoid driving by the area where the crash took place
- Depression and anxiety
- Negative thoughts
If someone is suffering from PTSD, they may be unable to work. They can’t carry on normal social lives. This can be very disruptive.
The only real treatment for PTSD is therapy and possibly medication. It’s rarely something that time will heal on its own.
Some of the treatments for PTSD include:
- Cognitive processing therapy
- Prolonged exposure therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Stress Inoculation Training
The main goals of these treatments are to help the patient:
- Improve their symptoms
- Teach them skills to deal with their issues
- Restore their self-esteem
All of these treatments cost money. The defendant can be held responsible for the costs of this care.
What Kinds of Car Accidents Could Cause PTSD?
When you think about how terrifying some car accidents can be, it makes sense that they could cause PTSD. Imagine being involved in an accident where a tractor trailer drives your car off a highway. Or think about how scary it would be if you were trapped inside a burning vehicle.
The question isn’t really how can car accidents cause PTSD. The question is how do so many car accident victims walk away unscathed. The number of people that are able to pick up after a devastating car accident is amazing.
Louisiana car accident lawyers understand this. They represent clients who suffered devastating tragedies. These clients aren’t always able to pick up and move on. Some of them are traumatized for life.
What Damages Are Associated with PTSD?
If you’re suffering from PTSD as a result of a car accident, your lawyer will demand certain damages. These damages will include:
- Medical bills – You may experience a large amount of medical bills due to your PTSD. Your doctor or therapist can testify as to the future medical care you may need. The defendant should be held liable for these expenses.
- Lost Wages – If you miss a lot of time from work because of the accident, you’ll be entitled to damages.
- Property Damage – You’re entitled to recover the costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle.
- Pain and Suffering – This is where your PTSD may come into play. The defendant may have to compensate you for the mental and physical anguish caused by the accident.
Your Lake Charles car accident attorney will make sure you’re compensated for all of these things.
Call a Lake Charles Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you or your loved one have been hurt in a car accident, you need to call a Lake Charles car accident lawyer. He can review your case and let you know what kinds of damages you can claim. He can also let you know what your case may be worth.
Call and schedule your initial consultation today, it’s absolutely free and you don’t pay a dime until you settle your case. The defendant will have a lawyer working for him and you should too.