If you’re in a very serious car accident in Louisiana, you may suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD.) This is a condition suffered by people who experience any sort of traumatic event. It can be short-term, but often times, it can last the rest of your life.
Most of us think of war veterans when we hear the term PTSD. It’s a condition suffered by people who fought overseas. There are also a lot of people who suffer horrific crimes or other tragedies who end up suffering from PTSD.
When someone has PTSD, they tend to relive the trauma over and over again. The littlest things can trigger their anxiety and send them into a panic. People who are in very serious car accidents can suffer PTSD just like war veterans or crime victims.
If you or your loved one are suffering from PTSD after a car wreck in Lake Charles, you should contact an experienced car accident lawyer. They can review your case and let you know if you’re entitled to damages.
What Are the Symptoms of PTSD?
People suffering from PTSD don’t always show their symptoms right away. It could be months or even years after your car crash that you notice there’s something wrong. That’s why it’s important that you contact a doctor if you notice any of the following signs and symptoms:
- Experiencing the traumatic event over and over, sometimes in the form of flashbacks
- Being emotionally numb and avoiding people, places or things that remind them of the traumatic event
- Problems with sleeping, concentrating and periods of heightened anxiety
In addition to these symptoms, victims of PTSD will also experience some of these other issues:
- Dissociative reactions
- Intense psychological distress
While there are various treatments for PTSD, such as medication and therapy, there is no one size fits all solution. It may involve a lot of trial and error.
What is the Treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
There are some options for car accident victims experiencing PTSD. Your Lake Charles auto accident attorney will make sure you get the medical care you need.
Some of the possible treatments for PTSD include:
- Cognitive Processing Therapy: With this therapy, you’ll be forced to talk about the event that led to your PTSD. You’ll be asked to write about it until it doesn’t feel so uncomfortable to discuss it.
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy: You’ll be asked to identify the things you’re avoiding due to your PTSD. Slowly, over a period of time, you’ll be asked to confront these things. You’ll also learn breathing techniques that can help you deal with the stress that accompanies your PTSD.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing: This therapy teaches you have to distract yourself from the negative thoughts you have when dealing with the trauma. It also teaches you how to associate positive things with the negative experiences.
- Stress Inoculation Therapy: With this treatment, you really just learn alternate ways of dealing with stress.
- Medications: As a last resort, your doctor can prescribe medications to help you deal with the anxiety caused by PTSD.
If you’re dealing with PTSD caused by a car accident in Louisiana, you need to contact a Lake Charles auto accident attorney. Your attorney can pursue the other driver to make sure they pay for your injuries.
Do Judges and Juries Believe in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
One of the problems with PTSD is that a lot of juries and even judges don’t believe it’s real. There’s no diagnostic test that can prove you have it. A lot of people are suspicious when people claim they have PTSD.
There are some people who exaggerate their symptoms in order to sue people. They also tend to claim they’re suffering from PTSD so they can go on disability. They figure, that way, they won’t have to work and can collect long-term disability payments.
Because there is no way to really prove you have it, juries are very skeptical of claims of PTSD. They may think you’re exaggerating your symptoms. Or, they may look at you and think you look fine. Juries tend to not believe in things they cannot see.
Contact a Lake Charles Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Louisiana, you need to call a Lake Charles car accident lawyer. Your lawyer can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. They can also answer any questions you may have.
Call today and schedule your free initial consultation with a lawyer at Veron, Bice, Palermo & Wilson, LLC. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.