There are all types of car accidents. Some involve distracted drivers. Others are rear-end collisions that don’t cause very serious injuries. And then there is the head-on collision. They can be the most serious type of accident.
The injuries sustained in a head-on collision can be deadly. The fact that a car comes barreling toward another one head-on is downright scary. Usually, these accidents involve cars that are speeding or out of control. This just compounds the severity.
If you think about, the kind of person who hits you head-on can’t possibly be driving carefully. Unless they’ve lost control of their car, there is no good reason for driving this way. This means that, more often than not, the person who hits you head-on will be liable for your injuries.
If you’ve been involved in a head-on collision, you need a Lake Charles car accident attorney. Your attorney is familiar with the causes of head-on collisions. They will help prove that you’re entitled to compensation.
Your Lake Charles Car Accident Attorney Knows the Causes of Head-On Collisions
Car accident attorneys handle all sorts of cases. Some are fender-benders that involve minor injuries and property damage. Others are quite serious. Some of the more serious kinds are head-on collisions.
Given how dangerous they are, it’s important to look at what causes these accidents. If you know what causes head-on collisions, you can get a better handle on proving causation. And proving causation is what gets you paid.
Most head-on collisions involve negligence. This makes them just like every other accident case. You have to prove that the defendant breached their duty of care toward you. The elements of a negligence case are:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care
- They breached this duty
- You have injuries
- Your injuries were caused by their breach
Every driver owes people on the road a duty of care. They have to obey all traffic laws, be mindful of how they drive, and be considerate to other drivers on the road.
If they breach this duty, they will be held liable for your injuries. This breach could involve:
- Driving drunk
- Distracted driving
- Poorly maintained car
Your Lake Charles car accident attorney will fight to prove the other driver is responsible for your accident.
What are the Different Causes of Head-On Collisions?
The 4 most common causes of head-on collisions are:
- Distracted driving – When people are paying attention to their cell phones, they can’t possibly pay attention to the road. It takes just 2-3 seconds to lose control of your car. If you’re not looking at the road, you can cross into oncoming traffic. The causes you to crash, head-on, into an unsuspecting vehicle.
- Speeding – When people are driving too fast, they can’t stop or merge when they should. This means that when they do try to avoid hitting a car in front of them, they end up driving into your lane. They don’t realize that the lesser of two evils would have been the rear-end collision.
- Drunk driving – When people drive after drinking or using drugs, they have no idea what they’re doing. Their coordination is off. So is their perception. They may think they’re merging into a turn lane when they’re really merging into oncoming traffic. The result is your car getting slammed into full speed ahead.
- Losing control of the car – There are times when a head-on collision is a genuine accident. If a car’s brakes fail or something goes wrong with their steering, they can lose control of their car. Although it isn’t technically their fault, you can still file a claim against them. You shouldn’t suffer because their car isn’t working properly.
If any of these things causes your head-on collision, you may be entitled to compensation.
Your Lake Charles Car Accident Attorney Will Get You Justice
If you’ve been involved in a head-on collision, you need to contact a Lake Charles car accident attorney. Your lawyer will file a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy. He’ll demand that you receive compensation for the following:
- Property damage
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Even though it was a head-on collision, your Lake Charles car accident attorney will still have to prove fault. He’ll rely on things like the police report and witness statements to prove the other driver was at fault. If he can do this, you’ll be entitled to damages.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. You can ask your Lake Charles car accident attorney any questions you may have. He can also review your case and let you know what it may be worth. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.